6th Annual Childhood Obesity Symposium
Hosted by the CARE Program, Division of Endocrinology and Diabetes
The sixth annual Pediatric Obesity Symposium hosted by the Cardiometabolic Assessment Research and Education (CARE) Program at Phoenix Children’s Hospital will be held at the Scottsdale Plaza Resort and Conference Center in Scottsdale, Arizona. The symposium offers healthcare providers an opportunity to learn from local and national experts in the area of pediatric obesity and obesity-associated conditions. The goal is to enhance the knowledge base of healthcare providers in order for them to improve the health and lives of children and families affected by obesity.
This event is for healthcare professionals in: Pediatrics, Endocrinology, Gastroenterology, Pulmonary, Nephrology, Cardiology, Psychology, Nutrition/Dietetics
Phoenix Children’s Hospital is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
DESIGNATION STATEMENTPhoenix Children’s Hospital designates this live activity for a maximum of 2.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
IMPORTANT: If you are a student or a Phoenix Children's Hospital employee, please contact Daniela Larson at 602-933-0315 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Stephen Daniels, MD, PhD is the Chairman of the Department of Pediatrics at University of Colorado School of Medicine and Pediatrician-in-Chief at Children’s Hospital of Colorado
Nicolette Teufel-Shone, PhD is the Director of the Center for Health Equity Research and a Health Sciences Professor at Northern Arizona University
Corrie Whisner, PhD is an Assistant Professor at the School of Nutrition and Health Promotion and a Faculty Associate at the Biodesign Center for Fundamental and Applied Microbiomics at Arizona State University
PRESENTATION INFORMATIONSpeaker: Stephen Daniels, MD, PhD
Presentation Title: The Evaluation and Treatment of Pediatric Obesity
1. To be able to evaluate children and adolescents for obesity and its comorbid conditions
2. To be able to implement prevention and treatment approaches for childhood obesity
Speaker: Nicolette I. Teufel-Shone, PhD
Presentation Title: Strategies Developed by American Indian Communities to Improve Health
1. Identify 3-4 assets in American Indian communities that tribal health programs have leveraged to promote health.
2. Identify 2 strategies that have been used in American Indian communities to promote healthy choices.
3. Identify 1 policy enacted by a tribal nation designed to shift social norms to improve community health.
Speaker: Corrie Whisner, PhD
Presentation Title: Exploring the Impact of Diet-Gut Microbiome Interactions on Pediatric Obesity
1. Identify 5 foods and/or nutrients that positively infuence the gut microbiome and metabolic health in pediatric populations.
2. Describe how gut microbiomes metabolize nutritients from the diet.
3. Appreciate the importance of nutrition to improve pediatric health via gut microbial mechanisms.
12:30-1:15 – Lunch & Registration
1:15-1:20 – Welcome
1:20-2:00 – Speaker 1 – Nicolette I. Teufel-Shone, PhD
2:00-2:40 – Speaker 2 – Corrie Whisner, PhD
2:40-2:55 - Break
2:55-3:35– Speaker 3 –Stephen Daniels, MD, PhD (Keynote)
3:35-3:45 - Final Q&A, Closing and Adjourn
We have several opportunities for corporate sponsorship during Pediatric Update 2018 and the Childhood Obesity Symposium on Tuesday, March 13, 2018. Please contact Daniela Larson for details at 602-933-0315 or email@example.com.
Payment may be made by check or credit card. For credit card payments, you may go to www.phoenixchildrens.org/caresymposium and choose the “Healthy Sponsor” ticket option.
Tuesday, March 13 at 12:30pm to 3:45pm
The Scottsdale Plaza Resort 7200 North Scottsdale Road, Paradise Valley, AZ